- Novus opens a new office in Chennai, India, enabling faster, localized and more cost-effective service to customers in India.
- Novus enters second year of partnership with the African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) program and hosts a second AWARD fellow, a poultry nutritionist and professor from Tanzania.
- Novus achieves Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) For Homes Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) for the renovated 1920s-era caretaker's house at the Novus Green Acres Research Farm in Montgomery City, Missouri.
- Novus participates in the Washington University Olin Business School Sustainability Case Competition, serving as co-sponsor and judge.
- Novus introduces the C.O.W.S program to customers, focused on cow well-being to maximize productivity and enrich sustainability of the dairy industry, following an extensive benchmarking program in 2010.
- Novus supports Japanese friends and colleagues following the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- Novus holds third annual Science in Action Day focusing on innovative opportunities in animal and human nutrition. This event provides an opportunity for college students from across the state of Missouri to gain valuable insight into different science-based careers.
- Novus enters a partnership with the Progressive Agriculture Foundation® (PAF) to educate children about healthy eating habits in an effort to help curb the growing obesity epidemic among children and adolescents.
- Ribbon cutting to commemorate the opening of the expanded Novus Arkansas manufacturing facility in Little Rock, Arkansas for MINTREX® chelated trace minerals, with new technologies enabling Novus to reduce our environmental footprint. The plant has been granted a Silver LEED certification.
- Novus hosts the third annual Novus Art Walk. Over 400 guests enjoyed food, drink, live music and the work of more than 30 local artists. The event culminated in the 2011 Arts and Education Council Annual Giving Campaign, which resulted in more than a 25% increase in donations.
- Novus celebrates receiving the American Feed Industry Association IT Innovation Award for AIMS®, our customer inventory management system. Novus donated the cash award to 4-H.
- Novus is selected by The St. Louis Regional International Partnership to receive the Global Pioneer Award.
- Novus holds a three-day 20th Anniversary celebration at the Novus campus in St. Charles.
- Novus announces a strategic partnership with Verenium Corporation to deliver a new suite of enzyme products to support sustainable animal nutrition and health.
- Novus proudly hosted and co-sponsored the first annual Run for the Farms. The run attracted over 150 runners of all ages, with proceeds benefitting the Katy Land Trust.
- Novus publishes its third Sustainability Report, achieving GRI-checked Application Level B.
- Novus hosts its second annual Novus University Day, focused on Fostering Welfare in Livestock Production, on July 26, 2011 in St. Louis.
- Stratum Nutrition is honored to receive the Nutrition Business Journal (NBJ) Business Achievement Award in the "Investment in the Future" category.
- Stratum and ESM employees volunteer in Joplin following disastrous storms in the area.
- Novus is featured at the 5th International Conference on the Assessment of Animal Welfare at Farm and Group Level (WAFL), highlighting the C.O.W.S. program and its impact on the industry.
- Novus creates Novus Nutrition Products Africa in Mauritius on August 23, 2011.
- Novus donates over $10,500 in non-perishable foods and matching funds to the St. Louis Area Foodbank.
- In collaboration with the United Way Campaign,
Novus employees participate in a 9/11 Day of Service
and Remembrance Project.
- Novus inaugurates its new European Center of
Excellence in Reus, Spain, hosting more than 100
leaders in the feed and food sectors from over 30
- Novus celebrates World Egg Day with events in Brazil,
Kenya, Uganda, Senegal, Zambia, Nigeria, the United
States, Taiwan, Europe and Mexico.
- Novus employees join more than 3,000 volunteers
at the Danforth Plant Science Center for World Food
Day to prepare 523,000 meals for malnourished
people in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Novus hosts the third annual Science Day, which
featured interactive discussion on opportunities in
animal and human nutrition with industry leaders and
- Novus presents at the Green Solutions Conference
- Novus participates in B4E Durban Dialogue in South
Africa with sustainability as a focus.
- Novus filed its first Sustainable Sites InitiativeTM
20 Years of Innovation with Integrity
2011 was a year of celebration for Novus International. Novus achieved the mature age of 20 years, having been formed
in 1991 after the acquisition of the Feed Division from Monsanto Company by Mitsui & Co., Ltd., and Nippon Soda Co.,
Ltd. During twenty years of business, Novus has demonstrated that long-term growth is achievable in a business based
on sustainability principles, core values and a vision which continues to guide and inspire Novus employees. The theme
of the Novus celebration year was “Innovation with Integrity” (which also was the title of the Novus 2010 Sustainability
Report), and celebratory events were held in many Novus locations around the world throughout the year, a selection of
which are described below.
Novus 20th Anniversary Celebrations at Novus HQ
The centerpiece of the Novus 20th Anniversary celebrations was a three day event in June at the Novus campus, which
brought together the people that created and built the current Novus organization from years gone by and from the
present time. The 500 guests included the current Novus Board of Directors and past Directors, customers from more
than 15 countries, business partners, NGOs, managers and employees. Visitors included Dr. Joe Privott, President
of Privotts, LLC and former President of Novus, and many others. Thad Simons, Novus President and CEO, thanked
those present, reconfirming his commitment to the belief that global perspective and diversity of thought bring value,
honesty and depth to the innovation process. Attendees also heard from Dr. Donald Danforth of the Danforth Plant
Science Center, with whom Novus works in close collaboration, who talked about alternative feed ingredients for
emerging markets. Ms. Thanomvong Taephaisithphongse, Executive Vice President, Betagro Group, also spoke at the
event from a Novus customer’s point-of-view. Additionally, representatives of some 30 customers participated in a full
day Organization Design and Leadership workshop, hearing from senior Novus executives and Nancy Lee, President
of Requisite Organization Associates, Inc., and gaining knowledge of the tools that form the basis of the Novus
Management System which is the foundation of Novus’s success.
Novus 20th Celebrations Around the World
In addition to the headquarters celebration, other offices celebrated in their own ways:
- The Novus China office held a ceremony and
media conference confirming Novus’s long-term
commitment towards supporting sustainable
agriculture in China. Over 300 guests attended the
event including customers, academic professors
and past and current Novus Scholarship Program
- A gala dinner marked the 20th anniversary and eighth
year of doing business in Thailand. Customers,
distributors and industry stakeholders enjoyed the
festivities. Novus employees from Thailand took an
active part in the event by performing a traditional
- Employees in India held a customer dinner to mark
the 20th anniversary. The dinner coincided with the
opening of the new Novus India office in Chennai, at
which President and CEO, Thad Simons, addressed
the attendees, reconfirming Novus’s commitment to
sustainable growth in India.
- Employees in Spain organized a celebration which was combined with the grand opening of the state-of-the-art Novus Research Center of Excellence in Reus. The event was followed by a scientific symposium focused on “Innovation with Integrity.”
- North American employees were offered the chance to tour multiple farms as a fun and educational way to celebrate the 20th anniversary. Four farms across Missouri and Illinois were showcased.
Mr. Susumu Katagiri, Novus Chairman, and Mr. Thad Simons, President and CEO, at the opening ceremony of the Novus 20th Anniversary celebrations in Thailand.